You’re invited to join the Lanterman Coalition’s virtual candlelight vigil on Facebook and Twitter Monday and rallies and marches in Sacramento, Oakland, LA, San Diego, and San Francisco later in the week to save our community services.
The message to Governor Brown and the Legislature from all these events is the same: Keep the Lanterman promise of community services for people with developmental disabilities, no cuts from the already-inadequate funding that the Legislature’s budget conference committee has passed.
How to get involved in the virtual vigil
- Go to Lanterman’s YouTube page. Copy the link for the video, “Let It Shine,” and paste it to your Facebook or Twitter.
- Include the hashtags: #LetItShine #KeepThePromise #DoTheRightThing #CABudget
- And tag the two legislative leaders and governor: @kdeleon @ToniAtkins @JerryBrownGov
More ideas of things to do
- Take a selfie holding a candle, lighter, flashlight or standing/sitting next to a lamp. Post the pictures on Facebook and Twitter to show solidarity.
- We are One Community let’s show it by flooding social media with images that depict #ShineTheLight!!
Make 5 short calls or fax 5 short letters
For those who haven’t yet made five short calls or faxed (not just emailed) five short letters to the five top decision-makers, please do that as soon as you can, too. People who’ve been making the calls tell me that some of the staffers answering the phones are getting so many calls they can practically tell the callers what they are going to say. That’s a big tribute to our united community effort and a demonstration of our new political power. But we need a lot more.
Here’s who to call or fax:
– Governor Jerry Brown, 916-445-2841 (fax 916-558-3160)
– Senate President Pro Tempore Kevin de Leon, 916-651-4024 (fax 916-651-4924)
– Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, 916-319-2078 (fax 916-319-2178)
– Senate Budget Chair Mark Leno, 916-651-4011 (fax 916-651-4911
– Assembly Budget Chair Shirley Weber, 916-319-2079 (fax 916-319-2179)
What you might say
“My name is __ and my address is __. I’m calling about the developmental services budget because ___ [tell them why you care].
“The budget conference committee’s actions will not be enough to stop our community service system from continuing to crumble. But they will save some of our services that that will close without them. Please don’t allow any cuts from what the committee passed.
“And please support the system reforms that the committee approved -– especially the language that says the savings from closing the developmental centers should go to the community services.
Where are we now and what’s next?
And thank you for your advocacy.
Public Policy Director
The Arc & United Cerebral Palsy California Collaboration
1225 Eighth Street, Suite 350, Sacramento, CA 95814