We are excited to share that California’s COVID-19 Rent Relief program can provide emergency rental assistance to California households and landlords impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program will help eligible households and landlords to pay rent and utilities, both for past due and future payments. It provides rent reimbursement to landlords for unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. Landlords are eligible to receive 80% of unpaid rent, as long as they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent. Eligible renters whose landlords don’t participate in the program can still receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Paying the 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021 can help keep renters in their homes under the extended eviction protections provided in SB91.

Eligible renters can also receive future rent assistance equal to 25% of their monthly rent. If eligible, either a landlord or a renter can initiate the application process. Applicants will not be asked about their citizenship, nor will they be required to show proof of citizenship. The first flow of applications will focus on households earning less than 50% AMI ($56,450 for a household of 4). It will expand to cover those disproportionately impacted by COVID-19 and then to all households earning less than 80% AMI.

The program is not first come first served, rather priority will be given to those households with the greatest risk of being evicted.

The program is being administered by the state, and a network of local community partners has been established to help answer eligibility questions and submit applications. A list of local community partners, other resources and application information are available at HousingIsKey.com. A CA COVID-19 Rent Relief call center is available to get help answering eligibility questions, for application assistance, and to provide information on local assistance: 1-833-430-2122 between 7 am and 7 pm daily.

How to Apply:

Renters and landlords can determine eligibility and apply for funds directly at HousingIsKey.com.

Those who lack access to the internet can call the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Call Center, 1-833-430-2122 for information on the help center nearest to you to help you access an application.