Job Summary: Provides support to self-advocacy groups, in South Santa Barbara. Under the guidance of the Supervisor of Peer Advocacy, serves as a resource for the agency and its stakeholders in support of existing and initiation of new advocacy activities for persons and families served by Tri-Counties Regional Center (TCRC).
1. Serves as an advisor to the South Coast Self Advocacy Group, others, as needed.
2. Attends local advocacy groups and/or Hillside House Resident Council meetings, as appropriate.
3. Supports individuals participating in community activities, such as Local Unmet Needs Transit
Hearings, Grassroots Day, and local legislative visits.
4. Assist in the design of printed materials that are easy for persons and families served to understand.
5. Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Must be a resident of (South) Santa Barbara
• Must be a person served by TCRC
• Some knowledge of local programs and services
• Some knowledge of generic benefit programs (Medi-Cal, Social Security)
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and/or as a PAS team member.
• Demonstrated ability to take direction from Supervisor and/or Team Members
• Demonstrated ability to ask for help, when and if needed.
• A self-starter
• Ability to prioritize time and/or be flexible with work-related deadlines.
• Ability to guide persons in considering their immediate needs, as well as their larger quality of life issues.
• Minimal formal education (high-school graduate preferred)
• Reliable source(s) of transportation in the community
• Good verbal skills and/or proficiency in the use of personal communication device(s)
• Some computer keyboarding skills and/or ability to complete such tasks with appropriate supports
• Experience leading groups and/or giving presentations
• Demonstrated awareness of maintaining a professional image in role as Peer Advocate Specialist
• Demonstrated ability to work in an office environment with coworkers, if required
To apply for this job please visit tri-counties.hiringplatform.com.