Other Generic Services

2-1-1 Directory
2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that helps people across the U.S. and in many parts of Canada find the local resources they need. 2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waivers
HCBS Waivers allow states that participate in Medicaid, known as Medi-Cal in California, to develop creative alternatives for individuals who would otherwise require care in a nursing facility or hospital. Medi-Cal has an agreement with the Federal Government, which allows for waiver services to be offered in either a home or community setting. The services offered under the waiver must cost no more than the alternative institutional level of care. Recipients of HCBS Waivers must have full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility.

The services available under these HCBS Waivers include case management through the regional center, community transition services, private duty nursing, family training, home health aides, life-sustaining utility reimbursement, habilitation services, and respite care. Additional waiver services also exist. Learn more at www.dhcs.ca.gov.

Public Transportation
It is important to use public transportation as well as the transportation services coordinated by TCRC (to day services or employment). Accessible public transportation services vary from area to area. Most individuals with developmental disabilities qualify for discounted bus passes to ride the public bus. Many communities operate a para-transit system (door-to-door van service) for people with disabilities who need to get to medical appointments and other community services. Check with your Service Coordinator for information about para-transit services and bus passes.

Each city has a parks and recreation program. Look online for your city’s program. These programs offer a variety of sports, dance, art, exercise, swimming, and other activities. Some park locations have adaptive equipment for people with disabilities as well. The programs are available to the public. TCRC does not pay for recreational services.